Friday, June 18, 2010

How to Read Literature Like A Professor (Chapters 20-27)

Alright. So I have now successfully completed my first summer reading book, thanks to the hour at McDonalds where I had to wait for my mom since I got off work early. So after reading this something registered in my head. I think it was always theire but after Chapter 25: Don't Read With Your Eyes I realized something. Like I said before I read a lot (and I mean a lot) of books. What Chapter 25 taught me was that when your reading you sort of have to become the character. You can't read a story from your point of view because it's not your story, it's someone elses. Reading is like acting, you have to be the character. Another thing (just a small thing), which I'm not sure I mentioned in my previous post is that symbolism in a story is everywhere. Chapter 22: He's Blind For a Reason, You Know taught me thats it's everywhere. I knew this from my learnings in English Honors last year, but I understand now. You have to catch even the obvious because it plays a role in a story.

1 comment: